Summaries of Parish Council business


(RPI Index-74-see Introduction)



Spring 1900
Mr Fowler took charge of the first meeting of the New Year on 9 January. The only notable business was that the Clerk was granted two guineas for expenses in preparing the new Valuation List of the Parish.
There was no meeting in February due to the weather. 
On March 13 Mr Fowler was again acting as Chairman when the Council agreed that water damage in Broadenham Lane and the fixing of a date for the Annual Parish Meeting should be left to Colonel Henley.
This decision appears to have prompted a crisis for the meeting on 18 April was adjourned until  21st April .  

Summer  1900
A meeting was held on 21 April at which, following a proposal by Mr Eveleigh and seconded by Mr Perham, Mr F.J. Fry was elected Chairman. Mr Fowler agreed to continue as Vice-Chairman. (Colonel Henley had served for six years but had missed many meetings over the past two years, due, apparently, to ill health. The Clerk was tasked to write to him, “according him a unanimous and hearty vote of thanks for his services in the past and also to express a hope for his speedy recovery from his illness”). 
The Council agreed to raise the Clerks salary from £21 to £25 per annum and to pay twelve shillings for the cleaning, lighting and heating of the Jubilee Hall for meetings. 
The rent for the tank from Colonel Henley for emptying drains at Court Hill was also agreed to be paid. 
A discussion followed about flooding in Broadenham Lane. Serious damage was said to have been caused, blame being levelled at one stage at Mr Persey. Mr Budge came to his defence saying that the Rural District Council had some responsibility and the Clerk was asked to write to them in order to clarify matters. 
On 11 May the only decision taken of note was to advertise in two local papers for estimates for the repair of the Churchyard wall. Two estimates resulted and at their meeting on 15 June the Council agreed to accept Mr Bowerman's quote. This meeting also agreed that the owners of land near the flooding in Broadenham Lane should put matters right and then responsibility for its maintenance should pass to the Rural District Council.

Autumn 1900
Meetings were held regularly in the Autumn of 1900, on 14 September, 9 November and 14 December. The Churchyard wall was repaired successfully but at a price! When it had been done the Vicar Rev. Spencer declared that the wall separating the Vicarage Garden from the Churchyard also needed to be repaired! The Council agreed to investigate. 
The landowners in Broadenham Lane were chased by the Clerk to hasten remedial work to the flooding problem and a small committee was formed to seek ways of improving the water supply from the Parish Pump – it was successful! 
The bill for the Churchyard wall repairs of £18 was settled and Mr Bowerman's estimate of £5 for repairs identified by the Vicar was accepted. 
At the last meeting a letter of complaint was discussed. It concerned water contamination caused by rainwater running off a house entering a well. The property involved belonged to Mr Hodder in Fore Street. The Clerk was asked to write to Mr Hodder to rectify the problem.


 Spring 1901
The first meeting of the New Year was held on 11 January. Present were Messrs Fowler (Chairman), Dommett, Eveleigh, Perham and the Clerk Mr Northcombe. 
A scale of fees as required by the Burial Act, which came into force on 1 January 1901, was examined and agreed. 
The Clerk was asked to write to Mr Hodder again as the water pollution had not been rectified. Mr Fowler acted as Chairman at the meeting on 15 March. The Clerk was asked to write to Mr Hodder again, the offending property being one occupied by Mrs Gordon. 
A bill from Mr Churchill for the repair of the village pump was forwarded to the Rural District Council for payment. 
The Overseers and Parish Council accounts were examined and passed.

Summer 1901
April 19
marked the first meeting of the newly elected Council. Its composition was: Mr Fry (Chairman), Mr Fowler (Vice-Chairman), Messrs Eveleigh, Loaring, Perham, Sylvester and the Clerk. Messrs Dommett and Hodder were chosen as Overseers. 
The Clerk was again requested to ask Mr Hodder to disconnect the guttering from Mrs Gordon's house to the parish well drain. 
A precept on the Overseers for £10, £5 Burial Board Expenses and £5 Parish Council Expenses were agreed. 
Colonel Henley and Mr Fowler were reappointed Trustees for Holsworthy Charity.
Mr Eveleigh chaired the meeting on 11 May. The water problem was discussed but no action taken.
On June 14 Mr Fry was Chairman. Little business was done. “Mr Hodder's statement with regard to water was adjourned for the next meeting.” 
At that meeting on July 12 Mr Hodder promised to disconnect the offending downpipe (action at last?) His promise may have had a price for at the same meeting he asked that the gate leading from Clapps Close to Balsam be repaired. The Clerk was told to write to Mr Hodder advising him to write to the owner of the relevant property himself! 
Mr Churchill’s estimate of £5 to repair and paint the Cemetery railings was accepted.

 Autumn 1901
Mr Fowler chaired the meeting on 13 September. The first entry in the minutes records that the Clerk was asked to write to Mrs Gordon “with regard to refuse matter being thrown from her premises into the street”. (There was probably some ill feeling in Fore Street because Mr Hodder had still not removed the down pipe affecting the well water.) 
Some routine financial matters were settled and Mr Bowerman's quote for additional work on the Churchyard wall was accepted. 
The Clerk was asked to write to the Postmaster General to complain about late deliveries. 
Mr Sylvester chaired the meeting on October 11. It was a meeting tying up loose ends. The problems with Mrs Gordon had stopped, The Postmaster General had promised better service, Mr Hodder had promised to disconnect the pipe in a few days and Mr Churchill had finished the Cemetery railings-a good meeting! 
On November 8 Mr Fowler was Chairman. A table of Burial fees was approved as required by the Burial Act 1900. The meeting heard that Mr Hodder had not fulfilled his promise! 
Some routine financial matters were dealt with. 
At the last meeting of the year Mr Sylvester was Chairman. It was reported that the Burial Board fees had been approved .
It was decided that a notice board should be erected in the cemetery. 
The subject of the wells in Fore Street featured again but no policy decision was made.


Spring 1902
The New Year started with a meeting on 10 January. Mr Fowler was acting Chairman. It was agreed that some Bye Law regulating the use of water in Fore Street should be drawn up and discussed at the next meeting. 
It was resolved to remind Mr Hodder of his promise of 12 July and for the Clerk to write to Mr Fry “expressing their deep sympathy with him in his severe illness with a hope for his speedy restoration to health”. 

On St Valentine's Day (14th February) the Council met in the Jubilee Hall at 7pm.
The Water Bye Laws were discussed and approved. 
A letter from Norah Fry was read out conveying her father’s appreciation of the Council's letter to him. 
The Clerk was again requested to remind Mr Hodder about removing the down pipe at Mrs Gordon’s house. 

The next meeting on 14 March was chaired by Mr Fowler. It was reported that the Water Bye Laws would have to be approved by the Rural District Council. The Clerk was tasked to write letters to Messrs Mitchell Toms and Co, The Ecclesiastical Commissioners and to Mr Fry concerning the poor state of repair of parts of their properties and therefore of the risk to the public. 
The date of the Annual Parish Meeting was agreed for 25 March. Finally, the Clerk was asked to speak to Mr Hodder about ………… THE PIPE!!!

Summer 1902
The first meeting of the summer was on 15 April. Mr Fowler was Chairman for the evening .Mr Fry was re-elected Chairman with Mr Fowler as his Deputy. Messrs Dommett and Raisin were appointed Overseers. 
Further meetings took place on 9 May and 13 June. The only noteworthy decision taken was that “repairs in connection with the wells in Fore Street should be left to the management of the members of the Council residing in the village.”

Autumn 1902
On 16 September the Council dealt with a number of routine financial matters and Mr Robbins was paid for repairs to parish wells. Mr Loaring acted as Chairman.
On 10 October Mr Eveleigh took charge. A payment of ten shillings was authorised to Mr Hodder for the erection of a Notice Board for the Cemetery. 
A precept for £5 for Parish Council expenses was signed.
At the meeting on 14 November Mr Dommett was Chairman. 
The Clerk was asked to write to Mr Raisin asking him to make the pathway from Verdhay to Malthouse passable. 
Circulars from the County Education Committee concerning scholarships were read out. 

On 12th December Mr Fowler acted as Chairman. The Clerk was reminded to write to Mr Raisin and cheques were signed for the Sexton's and Minister's Fees. 
The Clerk was also requested to make inquiries “as to the advisability of insuring The Caretaker of Cemetery under the Workmen’s Compensation Act”.


On 9 January the Council met under the Chairmanship of Mr Eveleigh. Mr Loaring was tasked to see the owner of the pathway in Verdhay as no repairs had been made since the last meeting. The Clerk was asked to see Mr Robbins about the drain at Malthouse.It was obviously still causing trouble. He was asked to write to the Rural District Council should Mr Robbins deny responsibility. 

Unusually the Council met in the Schoolroom on 13 February, with Mr Loaring in the Chair. It was reported that the Malthouse drain had been cleared by the Rural District Council. Little other business was done. 

On 13 March Mr Fowler acted as Chairman. A cheque for Mr Cook’s salary and grave digging was signed (£1.10.0) and the Somerset County Education Scheme discussed. 

On 15 April Mr Fry and Mr Fowler were re-elected Chairman and Vice-Chairman again at a meeting headed by Mr Dommett. Messrs Pym and Raisen were chosen as Overseers. Other Councillors present were Messrs Loaring, Perham and Sylvester. 
The accounts were examined and passed. A vote of thanks was passed to the retiring officers. It was agreed to obtain estimates for the repairs to the parish wells (a never ending problem!)
On 8 May Mr Fowler acted as Chairman. It was agreed to accept Mr Tolman's estimate to repair the wells and the Clerk was asked to write to the Postmaster General to complain of the absence of a second house delivery. 

On 29 May a special meeting was called to select a Local Manager under Section 6(2) of the Education Act 1902. Mr Fowler acted as Chairman. It was unanimously agreed that Mr Robert Lane Dommett of Hey Farm should be appointed.
It was also agreed to suggest Mr S Wyatt and Mr A Budge from which the County Council might choose their representative. The Council decided to tell the County Council that they felt it better for the school not to be grouped with any other, as it is four miles to any other school.

Summer 1903
There were only two meetings in the summer, on 12 June and 7 August. Little happened of note. A problem with a footbridge near Wayford was discussed, Mr Robbins was authorised to carry out work on the water supply and Mr Tolman on the churchyard wall. The meeting noted that Mr Hodder had still not disconnected the downpipe on Mrs Gordens property!!!

Autumn 1903
On 11 September Mr Fowler chaired the meeting. Two bills were settled, one for Mr Cook for his salary and grave digging £1 and one for Mr Tolman for repairs to the churchyard wall for two shillings and sixpence. 

On October 9 Mr Perham chaired the meeting. Only Mr Loaring, Mr Sylvester and the Clerk attended. Two cheques were signed, one for the Post Office Guarantee (Telegraph) for £1.15 and one for Mr Robbins for six shillings for repairs to the wells in Fore Street. 

On December 11 Mr Fowler took charge. The Overseer's Account as audited in October was examined and a complaint about the stile and footpath from Colham to Chalkway was discussed. The Clerk was asked to write to the owners. It was unanimously agreed to write to Mr Perham “expressing the regret of the Council at losing his valuable service and also recording his unfailing interest in the welfare of the villagers during his long residence in the parish.” It was again mentioned that Mr Hodder had not removed the down pipe from his house in High Street.


Spring 1904
The first meeting of the New Year was on January 8 in the Jubilee Hall, chaired by Mr Dommett. Little business was done but at the subsequent one on 12 February the Clerk was asked to write to Mr Hodder, this letter bringing a reply, which was discussed at a special meeting on19 February chaired by Mr Fowler. It was agreed that the Clerk should write to Mr Hodder telling him that unless the down pipe is disconnected the Council will refer the matter to the Rural District Council. 

The meeting on 11 March, chaired by Mr Eveleigh, saw the departure from the Council of Mr Sylvester. He was thanked for his contribution.

The newly elected Council met on 15 April. Mr Fry was elected Chairman with Mr Fowler as his Deputy. Messrs Pym and Holcombe were chosen as Overseers. Others present were Messrs Dommett, Eveleigh, Loaring, Wyatt and the Clerk.  
The accounts were examined and a Precept of £5 on the Overseers drawn up. After some discussion it was agreed that the whole Council should meet at the top of Fore Street on Monday 18 April at 6.30pm to resolve the water supply problems. 
It was also agreed that the Clerk should write to Wayford Parish Council about the obstruction of the public footpath leading from Winsham to Wayford caused by the erection of new cottages at the Wayford end of the pathway. 

On April 22 a special meeting took place, chaired by Mr Fowler. It decided to advertise in Pullmans Weekly News for tenders to improve the water supply in Fore Street.

Summer 1904
On 2 May tenders submitted by Mr Churchill for £30 and by Mr Fowler for £35 were discussed. After careful consideration the Council concluded that they could not justify such large expenditure. Consequently no tender was accepted. Mr Fowler chaired this meeting. However, the Council did agree to ask Mr Churchill for an estimate for some more minor work on the water supply.
The next meeting was on 13 May, chaired by Mr Fowler. The accounts of the Overseers and Parish Council audited by Mr Estcourt were examined. 
It was reported that Mr Hodder had disconnected the down pipe as requested, (but only after countless letters and the threat of involving the Rural District Council!!)  It was agreed to leave any further improvements to the water supply in abeyance for the moment. The Parish Council meeting on 17 June handled routine matters apart from deciding to ask the Clerk to write to the family of Lord Portman expressing their sympathy (for the death) and also their appreciation of his great interest in the parishes of Cricket St Thomas and Winsham.

The meeting held on 12 August was chaired by Mr Eveleigh. Others present were Messrs Loaring, Pym and the Clerk. Two letters were read and discussed, the first from Wayford Parish Council denying any obstruction to the footpath and the second from The Hon Alexander Hood conveying his family’s appreciation of the letter of condolence sent from Winsham.

The first meeting of the autumn was on 9 September. Mr Fowler took charge. 
Cheques were signed for The Postmaster General-Council share of expenses of Telegraph, for Mr Cook’s salary and grave digging and for petty cash. Little other business was done

On 11 November Mr Fowler acted as Chairman at a meeting attended by Messrs Dommett, Eveleigh, Loaring, Pym, Wyatt and the Clerk. A precept of £5 was signed for Burial Board expenses and a complaint about the dangerous state of the footpath in Verdhay discussed. 
The Clerk was asked to write to Mr Raisen requesting him to repair the path. The Clerk was also asked to write to the Postmaster General asking for a post box to be erected at The Four Cross Way, Whatley thus making life much easier for people living at Whatley, Leigh, Whatley Mills, Clayplot and Street. 
The most important part of the meeting was the discussion over a letter received from Messrs Capel Cure and Ball regarding the transfer of the Jubilee Hall to the Parish Council.
A resolution, proposed by Mr Wyatt and seconded by Mr Eveleigh was carried unanimously. It stated that “The Parish Council gratefully accept your proposal contained in your letter of the 1 inst and to carry on The Jubilee Hall as the late Lord Portman wished provided they can accept the conditions under which the transfer will take place”. 

On 9 December the Council met in the Jubilee Hall with Mr Fowler as Chairman. Updates were given and discussed about the Jubilee Hall, the Verdhay footpath and a post box at Four Cross Way. 
The County Basis for Rating letter was also mulled over, the result of which was that the Clerk was asked to write pointing out that their proposed Basis was £50 more than the Parish Rateable Value for Agricultural Land.

Click HERE to return to Browse Index

Click HERE to return to Site Map