Cornish Henley, of Leigh House, was elected Chairman of Winsham
Parish Council at its first meeting held in the Jubilee Hall on
Thursday,13th December,1894 at 6.00pm
First Meeting-Thursday, December 13, 1894 at 6.00pm
Chairman - Mr Northcombe. Members - Colonel Henley and Messrs Fowler,
Sylvester, JH Hodder, Henry Marks and W.Hodder.
Proposed by Mr Fowler and seconded by Councilor Marks, Colonel Henley
was unanimously chosen as Chairman. Mr Fowler was elected Vice-Chairman.
Northcombe became Clerk and Mr A.D.Paul Treasurer. Mr J.H.Hodder was
chosen to become Waywarden for Street and Leigh.
A vote of thanks to Viscount Bridport for use of the Jubilee Hall
concluded the meeting.
Further meetings were held in both the Jubilee Hall and
Schoolroom before the annual meeting on April 17 1895. Subjects discussed
concerned the water supply, school lighting, location of the parish map
and the business of The Burial Board.
Annual General Meeting April 17 1895
Colonel Henley was unable to attend due to illness.
Despite this, he was elected Chairman for the next year. Mr Fowler took
charge of this meeting. A letter was read from Mr D.Andrews offering to
do the Overseers Office free in return for a salary as Clerk to the
Burial Board! Council Members took on the task themselves! The salary
was £21 a year. A second letter from Mr Andrews in his role as Clerk to
the Burial Board stated that he could not return the accounts until he
had seen the Manager of “Wilts and Dorset Bank” and had received
fees due on headstones in the cemetery.
Fred Bridport asked for a playground for the school but
the Council considered it outside their powers. It was decided to pay
the clerk twenty five shillings for his services from December to April.
The meeting lasted two hours.
Four meetings were held in the summer of 1895. A precept
of £14 a year was made out for the Overseers, the duties of the Burial
Board taken on by the Parish Council and its account moved to Stuckeys
Banking Company. The Clerk was asked to write to Mr.R.Persey “with
regard to rent of field which now falls into the hands of the Parish
Autumn saw some important issues
coming to the fore. Back Street had no water supply at this time . Mr
Sylvester said on 8th Oct. that at the next meeting he would
propose “that the owners of property be called upon to accommodate
their tenants with an adequate supply of water”. His idea received no
support when the Council met on 12 November .
The saga of the Burial
Board documents continued and the Council decided to call a Parish
Meeting to consider the adoption of the “Lighting Act”. That
meeting, held on 27 November, “resolved unanimously not to adopt the
A report by the Medical Officer, Dr Stephens,
recommended that the cesspools in Back Street be cleaned out! This was
to be reported to the Rural District Council.
The Rural District Council was quick to react .The “Inspector of
Nuisances” at Crewkerne served notices to responsible owners.
Burial Board books were returned at last and Mr Persey tried to have his
rent for the Parish Field reduced but to no avail.
The meeting on March
30 voted unanimously to write to the Railway Company urging the
necessity of a station at Winsham.
Annual Meeting April 15 1896
The meeting was held in the Jubilee Hall at 6.30pm. Colonel Henley was
re-elected as Chairman. Topics discussed were, Winsham Station (a letter
had been received from The Railway Company –a firm no), a reduction in
rent on the Parish Field (decision delayed until next meeting), “nuisance
in Back Street" (a task for The Sanitary Inspector in due course).
F.B.Fowler was unanimously chosen as Vice –Chairman.
The topic of the Parish Field rent was raised by Mr Persey on May
12. He complained saying it was “£2 more than it is worth as well
as paying the rates and taxes”. The Council disagreed but granted
a 10% reduction for the current year. They then decided to let the field
to tender from Lady Day with an advertisement in the paper. On June 9
the Clerk was instructed to write to Mr W. Hodder as follows:
“The Parish Council wish to draw your attention to the unfair way
of taking such large quantities of water from the wells in Fore St and
that unless stopped they must take steps to protect the wells from being
used in such a manner.”
At the meeting on 15 July it was decided to form a Water Committee to
determine the state of the wells in Back Street.
The dispute over the Parish Field continued into August when the Clerk
was told to write to Mr Persey asking for the payment of rent to Lady
Day 1896 and to say that “unless paid without further delay the
Council would be compelled to take proceedings for the recovery of the
The first meeting of the Autumn was on 8 September. The only topic
was the Parish Field rent. The Clerk was told to write to Mr Persey
(having deliberately not done so since the last meeting) threatening a
Court Summons unless payment was made by 15 September. Mr Persey sent
his cheque before the deadline! However the Council decided to advertise
the field to be let from Lady Day 1897 in Pulmans Weekly News.
meetings leading up to Christmas were quiet with little business done
apart from a proposal to buy a bier for the cemetery.
On 12 January it was decided to postpone the purchase of a
bier due to cost.
At the subsequent meeting on 9 March “a claim for tithes paid
by mistake by Mr Persey was received and the Clerk was instructed to
write to him saying that he had no claim against the Council (no
love lost between them). A tender of £6 was received from Mr Cross
for the Parish Field. The Council agreed to offer it to him for £6.10.0
Various routine bills were settled .
The Meeting agreed that after the election of Councillors on 18 March
they would consider how to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Her
A vote of thanks was offered to Colonel Henley for his services over the
The next Meeting was on 24 March at which it was decided to
accept the tender made by Mr Cross for the field of £6 tithe free for
the year from Lady Day 1897.
A cheque for £4.4.5d was authorised to pay interest due on the old
Burial Board debt (this liability was taken on by the Council when it
took on the responsibility for the Cemetery).
On 15 April the newly elected Council met. Colonel Henley was
voted in as Chairman, William Pile and George Whinsley Overseers of the
Poor and Mr. F.B.Fowler Vice-Chairman. Other members were Mr. Sylvester,
Mr. Perham and Mr. Dommett.
Closure of the footpath leading from West Street to the Cemetery was
discussed but no resolution passed .
The Clerk was instructed to write to Mr Persey (again!) for rent due on
There was only one meeting in the summer, on 11June.Here the
finances were sorted out .Mr Persey sent his cheque but asked for a
discount, which was refused. Cheques were signed for the Cemetery
Caretaker’s salary and grave digging, the tithe on the Parish Field and
for the Winsham School account.
There were only two meetings held in the autumn. At the first on 14
September, concern was expressed about the condition of the footbridge
over the river below Ford (no e) Abbey.
At the next meeting on 14
December the Chairman agreed to visit the owner, Mr Herbert Evans. This
second meeting also discussed the provision of allotments in Winsham.
Clerk was tasked to obtain what information he could from other parishes
before the next meeting.
The first meeting of the New Year was on
8 March. It dealt with routine matters mainly, the exceptions
being an intention to inform the Sanitary Inspector of the dangerous
state of some outbuildings in Court Street and an application to Rev
Spencer for the deed referring to the Charity Field. The freshly elected
Council met on 15 April.
On 6 June the
Council tasked Messrs Sylvester and Whinsley to report on the state of
the Churchyard wall near the cottages in Poole’s Lane.
Repairs were authorised for the repair to the underground pipes
connecting the wells in Fore Street, damage caused, apparently, by a traction
engine. The Council decided to seek compensation.
Mr Fowler chaired the
meeting on 13 September. It was reported that the repairs to the
wells had been completed satisfactorily and that an estimate was needed
for repairing the Churchyard wall.
There was a meeting on 25 October but nothing of note happened.
The Clerk writes of the meeting on 8 November “the business was merely
of a formal character”.
On 30 November a special meeting was held to consider The
Telegraph Office Guarantee. It was decided that Mr Fowler (who again
acted as Chairman) should see Mr Fry to discuss the Guarantee. (It is
believed that Mr Fry was living at Cricket St Thomas at this
The final meeting of the year took place on 13 December. Mr
Fowler reported the result of his meeting with Mr Fry and it was
proposed by Mr Dommett and seconded by Mr Perham “that the Clerk see
Mr Fry and obtain a letter concerning the Telegraph Office and then
write to the Secretary of the General Post Office informing him that the
Council had agreed to become guarantors for the sum required for the establishment
of a Telegraph Office in Winsham”.
The meeting also decided to write to Colonel Henley informing him of
what the Council had done and to wish him the compliments of the
season and to say that although absent he was not forgotten. (The
Minutes Book offers no explanation for Colonel Henley’s prolonged
absence. He missed all the Autumn meetings).
There were two meetings in January, on the 10 and 13.
Little business was done apart from discussing and agreeing the Draft
Agreement from the General Post Office for the Telegraph Office.
Colonel Henley resumed his role as Chairman for the meeting on 7
February and signed the General Post Office Agreement.
At the next meeting on 14 March Mr Hodder applied to draw water
from the well in Fore Street. Permission was granted and an agreement
was to be drawn up.
The poor state of repair of the roads at Purtington and Fore Street was
It was decided to ask Mr Churchill to repair the Parish Pump.
The Relief List was checked carefully and a few alterations suggested.
The meeting closed with a vote of thanks to both the Chairman and
April 18 was the date of the next meeting, following an election
to form the new Council. Colonel Henley continued as Chairman with Mr
Fowler Vice-Chairman. Members were Messrs Budge, Eveleigh, Dommett and
Perham. Messrs Whinsley and Wyatt were re-appointed Overseers for the
The Council decided on a rent of one shilling a year for the use of
water by Mr Hodder in Fore Street and an agreement was signed. Messrs
Henley and Fowler were appointed Trustees of Holsworthys Charity.
On May 9 the Council met in the Jubilee Hall .
Mr Budge reported that he and Mr Perham had inspected Mr Hodder's “Dipping
Well “ and found it incomplete. It was agreed that they should visit
again and report .It was also agreed that rent for the water should be
paid in advance on 15 April each year.
Mr Budge proposed that the Council carry out repair work to the road at
Paul’s Ash Lane. He received no support and the matter was left in
abeyance in the hope that it would be settled amicably in time.
At the meeting on 13 June Mr Perham reported that Mr
had been inspected and found to be satisfactory. A cheque for £1.6.0
for Mr Cook’s salary for grave digging was signed.
There were two meetings in September, on 12 and 27.
A letter from Mr Cross concerning the footpath from Fore Street to Court
Street was discussed at the first meeting. Mr Budge was tasked to visit
The Clerk agreed to obtain an estimate for repairs to the Churchyard
The Relief List was studied at the second meeting and a few alterations
made. It was to be sent to Mr Hawks, the Relieving Officer.
On October 10th Mr Fowler chaired the meeting. Mr Budge reported
on the state of the footpath from Fore Street to Court Street. He
considered the path from Gospel Hall to Fore Street to be in good
condition but that the stile and footpath leading from Verdhay to
Malthouse was in need of repair. The Clerk agreed to write to the owners
asking them to erect a substantial stile and to keep water from the
Mr Bowerman's estimate for repairs to the Churchyard wall was examined
.The Council decided to inspect the wall carefully and to obtain a
second estimate if they thought that necessary.
The meeting on 14 November began on this subject. It was agreed
to put off repairs until the Spring.
It was reported that Mr Raisin had erected a new stile on the footpath
between Verdhay and Malthouse.
The final meeting of the year was chaired by Mr Dommett on 12
December. Routine matters were dealt with but “other business was
put off for a fuller meeting of members”.
Click HERE to
return to Browse Index
Click HERE to return to Site Map