View up Fore St
The Cottage was the home of the Hart family. Mrs. Hart ran a sweet and confectionary shop from her front room and it was very popular with the young people --she always stocked the small cheap sorts that the company --Trebor -- used to manufacture --one penny a time !! Mr. Hart was the second Royal Mail postman to Dan Butler, and also acted as the local Vet; and treated the small animals  that were sick --in a barn type building in his back yard. Not a place for the sqeamish!
On the left, just out of the picture was Arthur Manning's Garage and workshop. Click HERE for more information. He employed a mechanic-Fred Cleal who lived at Laymore.

Mrs Stroud (on the left) is delivering milk to Fore Street by handcart (on right),  from Broadenham Farm . Milk was delivered in this way throughout the village.The other lady in the picture is Cath Loaring (later to become Mrs Griffin). She is carrying a bag of lace repairs.  The Cottage now known (2013) as Long Thatches is on the left. In 1938 it was Nos. 1&2 'The Cottages'. The front door of No2. is now a window.  On the left, past the stand-pipe (mains water supply) are cottages that were demolished in 1951 to make way for social housing after the war.
Council Houses  Fore St Council Houses

In Fore Street, above the Manse were the three 'council houses'. When compared with the cottages in the village,
where most people lived , they were the height of luxury, with electricity and mains water & drainage! The Longs, Downs and the Grabham families lived there in the thirties.
High Strscomp High St

High Street has not changed very much in appearance. In 1938 , Tom Phelps lived with his bride Gladys Bridle, in the most distant cottage. Next lived Phil & Ada Brown, and Joe Philips lived in the next and Mrs Hodder-Philips lived in the nearest cottage. Now Peter and Mary Pye live in the two top cottages, known now as Badger Cottage, and the whole of the lower section is known as Lime Kiln House is owned by Anne & Keith Portsmore. High Street leads onto the site of the old Lime Kiln, which later on, prior to WWII was the village rubbish tip. Alf Robbins, the haulier coalman, who lived in Fore Street collected rubbish for dumping.

Pooles lane dem.cottagerscomp Revised dempools lane
These cottages were demolished in the early nineteen eighties, after being unused for many years. In about 1997, Church House was built next to where the cottages stood. The Monkey Puzzle tree located in the cemetery can be clearly seen, not looking very different from how it looks in 2012.

Click HERE for more pictures


Click HERE to return to Browse Index

Click HERE to return to Site Map